Ms aposiOpesis

Ms O's troupe of tangents, affair of asides, multitude of meanderings, bevy of blatherings.

A New Hero

| 1 Comment

I have a new hero. Someone to join my ranks of Tank Man, Miep Gies, the Dalai Lama, and Abbie Hoffman.

Not because of his willingness to put his life on the line, or his ability to turn the media on itself, but because he’ll help me kick myself in the butt to accomplish things. This guy can show what motivation and dedication can really do.

His name is Myron Rolle, and, because I’m not a sports fan, I haven’t heard of him until tonight (the _Rachel Maddow_ show, and can I just say here that I adore Maddow?).

He’s a young man who has just wrapped up his BA in under time, with a 3.75 GPA, while playing spectacular football AND starting a health program for Native American youth.

Oh, and the other day? He interviewed for a Rhodes Scholar scholarship to Oxford, which he aced, and then jumped a charter plane for Maryland where his football team was playing (yes, that’s right, he skipped a playoffs game to interview for the scholarship), got in in the second quarter, and yes, his team won.

Oh, and his major? Nothing easy-peesy here…it’s pre-med. He wants to be a neurosurgeon.

My hat’s off to you, Mr. Rolle, whatever you decide to do in your future. The next time I hear myself saying, “Oh, I can’t do that…”, I want YOUR image to come into my head, shake a finger at me, get me motivated.

I hope you take on the entire world. Godspeed, young man. And thank you.

NYTimes story on Myron Rolle.

One Comment

1. Pingback: Mr. Rolle, Jolly Good | Ms aposiOpesis