Ms aposiOpesis

Ms O's troupe of tangents, affair of asides, multitude of meanderings, bevy of blatherings.

Day 5 In the Books

| 0 comments

My original plan for this week of Spring Break was to clean, clean, and clean some more.  For quite a while now, my

house has been on the “don’t you dare come in” list, for good reason.  It’s been too full for years, what with inheriting everything, but seriously, since about 2016, I can’t turn around but what I’m sick again, or having a surgery, or chemo, or just another round of flu/cold/bronchitis. I’d just say to heck with it, but it weighs on my mind.

Heavily.

My classroom is color-coordinated.  I have typed plans every day, which are also color-coordinated. I hate too many papers on my desk. I align student desks and clean them off daily.

At home?  Chaos.  Chaos covered in cat fur (current clowder count: eight adult cats).

So, yeah, a whole week off?  Clean upstairs, and totally dismantle the basement and deep clean. Woot!

Got home Friday night, kinda wondering what would be happening with COVID-19 stuff—hearing of closures on the coasts, etc., and my principal (who’s been out recovering from major surgery for a few weeks) had called a voice meeting on Friday to suggest we bring things home we need *just in case.*  Smart.

So, Friday night, after a really tough two weeks at work (full moon, upcoming vacation, spring, etc.), I just crashed. Was reading about the increasing cases, but looking forward to a week of sleep, cleaning, and coffee shops.

And then, the lungs starting clouding up.  That familiar pain, the heaviness.  The elephant standing on my chest thing. I know it well; if there’s a respiratory illness within the five-state area, I’m going to get it, and several coworkers have been recently down with influenza-A.   By Saturday morning, it was full-fledged yuck, but no fever, no chills, no other signs of COVID. And by Sunday, the nasal congestion jumped in, clarifying that this is just an ill-timed cold.

All of this to say that I’ve been spending my week coughing, resting, coughing, poring over news, tallying cases of COVID, screaming about my country’s administration’s bungling over and over and over again, and then coughing some more.

So that cleaning?  Yeah, no.  Not yet.  A little here and there, but bringing up dust and such when I’m respiratorily-compromised, anyway, isn’t so good.  Plus I hurt my foot last week and even wore a walking boot on Friday (urgent care doctor Thursday night suggested).

BUT.

Here’s what I *did* do today: I got up and showered and dressed.  I had breakfast, and coffee, and put away a few things.  I put a load of laundry in. I participated in a Zoom meeting for work (and I even put on a scarf and lipstick, no lie) that was productive. I did some planning for future distance learning. I resurrected this blog and revamped it. I dug up another blog and am working on revamping and adding to it.  I read some things, I brushed some cats, and later on we Zoomed with my mother-in-law, who’s sheltering in place by her lonesome in Waite Park, 40 minutes from here, and we don’t dare bring germs to her.

Also, some of our favorite artists and performers have been gracing us with free concerts and glimpses into their lives. Katherine Rondeau, and Fendrick & Peck (not to mention last night’s Dropkick Murphys St. Patrick’s Day livestream from Boston).

In fact, I just finished listening to Fendrick & Peck’s new song, and it’s about connection, and peace, and letting worry take its own path elsewhere while we just “breathe.” Which is exactly what I needed.

I’ve felt a continuing sense of low-level panic all day, like an electric wire that’s not grounded well and is buzzing just enough to put you on edge.  Plus, well, I literally have tinnitus, which is annoying, especially for someone like me who actually craves silence. But now I’m calmer.  I feel more in control.

Right now, we’re okay.

(Except for Justin just now saying to a meowing cat who’s climbing the bookshelf, “Pixel, what in the name of bleeding Jesus are you doing?”)

And the house can wait. It’s okay.

With social distancing, nobody’s coming over, anyway.

This whole quarantine thing is pretty much made for an introvert with a messy house like me!

Peace.  Good night!

(And go buy some music from Katherine and Fendrick & Peck.)