Ms aposiOpesis

Ms O's troupe of tangents, affair of asides, multitude of meanderings, bevy of blatherings.

Lockdown Day 25: Diary Hodgepodge

| 0 comments

In 25 days, I haven’t left the house except for walks, to go on the deck, and two car rides (the first to drop off donations, the second to pick up a standing desk and green screen

Standing desk and green screen borrowed from work! Score!

from work, briefly).

But I’m okay.

We are all affected differently.

I shared a meme the other day talking about how while we’re all in the same storm, we all experience it differently.  Some get raging, damaging hurricane, some just hard, hard rain, and some only experience sprinkling.

I am sprinkling.

My husband, On the other hand, is experiencing a hard, hard rain.  He’s far more extroverted than I am, and the physical possibility of getting sick–or one of his many loved ones getting sick–consumes him at times.  But he’s dealing with it.  And it’s not all the time.

Teaching from home has been going quite well!  Much better than I expected it would go.  It’s far harder in many ways than teaching in person, but there’s some freedom, too; easier clothes. Less rushed. More humor. Fun cat interludes. And, well, today I got to work from the deck in the afternoon for lesson planning.  You can’t beat that with a stick!  The boys are rolling with it far better than I would have expected, and I graded a bunch today (it’s going to be pass/no credit, but we’re not telling the boys that because ours would simply shut down) and I’m getting a lot more work turned in (Google Classroom) than I would have thought!

We’ve been eating very well–I know I’ve written about Blue Apron before, and that continues, plus we’re remaking some of those recipes.  I made chicken and dumplings the other day, and a lasagna on Sunday.  Yeah, me.  This whole lockdown is changing a lot.  I’ve washed dishes every day, too. It’s weird.

Sunday was Justin’s birthday; we had a surprise Zoom party (suggested by his cousin, thank goodness)!  It was great fun.  And then we had a Netflix Party thing and watched a

Zoom Birthday Party

James Bond movie; my first.

I’m extremely grateful for our Governor, Tim Walz, through all this.  He’s been giving daily pressers, and they’re not only full of actual science and pragmatism, in the truly stoic Minnesotan way, but also quite calming.  He’s on top of things.  He is in charge, and he’s honest.  His State of the State address Sunday was magnificent.  I, and most everyone I know, cried watching it or reading it.  I wish he were in charge on the national level, which keeps finding lower and lower shitpiles to sink into.  The times I’m most upset through all of this is in thinking of Der Pumpkinfuhrer and his callous narcissism and ignorance, which is celebrated by far too many.  It’s grotesque, and history will not be kind to us that allowed this travesty to happen, and who kept it propped up.

So, to keep my blood pressure healthy, I try to avoid much of that.  And concentrate on what I can control, what is in my circle right now.

All in all, we have it far better than most.  We don’t have to leave except to buy supplies.  We are still employed. We are safe.  We are still healthy.  We were overstocked with toilet paper before the lockdown started, so we’ve still got quite a bit. It’s starting to look like spring!

It’s sprinkling, but things may be greener on the other side!