Ms aposiOpesis

Ms O's troupe of tangents, affair of asides, multitude of meanderings, bevy of blatherings.

A Path to Balance

| 2 Comments

I’ve had this thought permeating my day.  A thought about AFTER.  What are we (teachers, Americans, world citizens) going to be like?  Will anything have changed?  What do I hope will change?

I believe that we, as a culture, have been overextending ourselves far too much.  We are all too busy.  We work many more hours than much of the world.  Those with children have them scheduled for so many learning opportunities, athletics, arts, etc.  We’re bombarded by advertising, showing the ideal family (with clean house, tastefully decorated, and everyone looks clean and well-dressed and no one’s wearing coffee stains or having to sniff their shirt in the morning to see if a cat peed on it*).

We are like dogs and cars; we’re continually chasing after something.  Anything.

Justin and I don’t have kids, so we avoid much of this.  Also, we’re both pretty sluggish, both by nature and by consequence of my health conditions. I used to be a workaholic, and I was going and going and going all the time.  That got left by the wayside about six diagnoses ago.  But I see this around me and I’m always amazed at how much people manage to fit in.  I wonder when people sleep.  Do they sleep?

I’m looking at pictures of absolutely empty (of people) urban downtowns, shared on social media.  Sun shining, buildings gleaming, streets completely empty, sidewalks bare.  It’s like a science fiction dystopian movie, but it’s also–beautiful. Quiet. Peaceful.

On facebook, friends are sharing pictures of fun games they’re doing, crafts made, tiktoks dreamt up and executed with wit and whimsy. There are homeschooling fiascoes–most with humor–and serious talks about calming fears.

People are checking in on each other. Finding out what others need. Sharing positive memes and friendly tidbits. Coming together.

Now, I know there are many people having to go in to work still, and many on the front lines of providing health care, stocking and clerking grocery stores, driving trucks, keeping the peace, teaching via Zoom, etc.  And I’m very grateful.

But for those of whose lives have suddenly become less full–for good and bad–this is a taste of something possibly sweet. Perhaps in a few weeks, or a few months (more likely), when we have returned to our non-COVID19 lives–maybe we can infuse it with a slowness, a welcome emptiness, for more balance.

We can learn from this unintended lessons.

*I  may have divulged far too much about my home life here.

2 Comments