Ms aposiOpesis

Ms O's troupe of tangents, affair of asides, multitude of meanderings, bevy of blatherings.

Days of Mourning and Celebration…

| 0 comments

…otherwise known as the Ides of Mayday!

What am I talking about?  Well, some teachers with whom I discuss teaching English, online, and I were chatting, and some of them had a terrific idea about organizing events to draw attention to what truly good teaching is (as opposed to what NCLB, RttT, and most “reformers” think it is), and to mourn the loss of respect and room for creative lessons teachers have been given.

To quote from my wonderful, knowledgeable, fantastic teacher friends (and I’ve only met one in person but “know” them just the same):

A few of us have been tossing about in search of something to do to create awareness of good teaching and the stresses it is under at present, a consciousness-raising action for the good things that we all know are going on in schools.

To that end, we are alerting as many teachers as we can reach to wear black on the Ides of March (that is March 15) to draw attention to education, and from then until May 1 to use these and other ‘bullet points’ for posters in classrooms and schools to recognize and underscore good teaching:

TEACHERS

– Hug hearts and wipe noses

– Plan careful lessons and care for learners

– Give unlimited love with limited resources

– Mold masterful minds and make meaningful  memories

We hope for more points to be added.  A line  saying, If you can read this, thank a teacher would be great on a poster, too.

Others are also calling for action in the month of March.   http://www.saveourschoolsmarch.org/ is  launching a new blog campaign called “In March, the Sleeping Giant Awakes.” Bloggers are invited to write on this theme and twitterers to tweet using the hashtag #WakingGiant. Those without blogs of their own can send something by email to teachersabrinafsp@gmail.com for posting on that site.  Visit the website for updates about the National Call for Action events planned for July 28-31 in Washington  with a Teachers March on July 30.

Traditionally,  May 1 is a day of celebration in schools. In old England, and here until recently,  the coming of Spring was greeted with a Maypole dance,  music, and poetry.  The first day in May that we are in school seems perfect as a culmination of our celebration of good teaching and good schools, and on that date we will wear a color more joyous than black.

We appeal to everyone to make March 15 – May 1 Days of Mourning and Celebration and to spread the word far and wide.

Sincerely,

Eileen Bach  (New York)

Dixie Dellinger  (North Carolina)

Susan Snookal  (California)

Donna Tanzer  (Wisconsin)

So, teachers…we have a facebook group you can join (just e-mail if you wish and I’ll send you along that direction), and also let me know positive ways we can show the world what it is we really do, how we really do care, and how education actually should be!